I don’t need to brag, but when it comes to portable electric stoves, I rarely make a wrong decision. Maybe it’s because I’ve used so many types that I have become conversant with the unit, or it’s because of hanging around people who constantly talk about the accessory. My family and friends usually travel a lot. And being very health conscious, we always prefer preparing our own food. Carrying the home cooker is obviously a No. In such a case, a portable stove is what suits us best. Just as the name indicates, the unit is ideal for easy mobility and storage. It’s lightweight, compact, easy to operate, and also versatile. By joining me in this review, I will list down the best portable electric stoves on the market. And as an extra bonus, I will show you the benefits and how to safely use a unit.
Table of Contents
- List of Top 8 Best Portable Electric Stoves in 2018
- #8 Weleyas Portable Electric Induction Cooktop, 1800W
- #7 Cosmo 1800-Watt Portable Induction Cooktop, COS-YLIC1, 1800W
- #6 Duxtop 8100MC Portable Induction Cooktop, 1800W, Gold
- #5 Cuisinart CB-60 Cast-Iron Double Burner, Stainless Steel
- #4 RoadPro 12-Volts Portable Stove, Black
- #3 Cuisinart CB-30 Cast-Iron Single Burner, Stainless Steel
- #2 Duxtop LCD 9600LS Portable Induction Cooktop, 1800W
- #1 Secura 9100MC Portable Induction Cooktop, 1800W, Black
- Tips on Safe Usage of Electric Stoves
- Why Are People Making A Switch Portable Electric Stoves?
- Final Words
List of Top 8 Best Portable Electric Stoves in 2018
#8 Weleyas Portable Electric Induction Cooktop, 1800W
First on my review list is this single burner electric stove. I love its simplicity when it comes to operating and maintaining it. It starts up fairly fast to save time and effort, has a simpler design to suit even inexperienced users, and is also very light and portable. The appliance has good heating that ensures the meal’s cook properly without burning. It has a firm base and legs that keep it stable even when handling heavy pots and pans. It will cook different meals without problems thanks to the wide range of heat settings and is also easy to clean because of the glass top.
#7 Cosmo 1800-Watt Portable Induction Cooktop, COS-YLIC1, 1800W
We can’t deny that the induction cooktop has taken the cooking world by storm. The COS-YLIC1 is one of the best and is useful in homes, mobile homes, restaurants, holiday homes and other locations. The 1800-watt unit produces amazing heat to cook any kind of food. It works with different cooking utensils and maintains consistency for quality cooking. The lightweight of fewer than 6 pounds makes handling and moving with it easily while the simple well-placed buttons boost effectiveness. It is slimmer than most of its closest rivals, small to occupy little space, and has a cool-to-touch surface for safety.
#6 Duxtop 8100MC Portable Induction Cooktop, 1800W, Gold
I bought my sister this portable electronic stove as her birthday gift. It’s now 12 months ago but she is I still praising the appliance. She says that it heats fast and this saves her lots of time and effort, the super sleek and smooth surface doesn’t get food stains easily and is simple to clean. The cooking aid is quite portable considering its very light and has a strong solid construction to bear heavy pans, pots or any other utensils. Its small nature suits it for many places including a small home, vacation home, RVs, mobile homes, studios and dorm rooms. One thing I can’t fail to mention is that it’s very energy efficient and super silent.
#5 Cuisinart CB-60 Cast-Iron Double Burner, Stainless Steel
This double burner should look nice in your studio, apartment, holiday home, mobile home and other places. I place it on this list because it is light despite having two burners. In fact, it weighs less than some single burner electric stoves on the market. The achiness sensory has good heating and will boil fry, sauté, make pate and much more. It’s built from stainless steel for protection from rust /corrosion and cast iron for strength and longevity. The simple interface and controls minimize inconvenience and also improve functionality. It cleans easily because of the smooth and sleek surface which also contributes to its elegance.
#4 RoadPro 12-Volts Portable Stove, Black
I will start by admitting that this was the first 12V electric stove I had come across. At first glance, I doubted its capability. I mean, how a 12V unit can perform same or better than a 110V or 220V unit. Well, my doubts were put to rest after I actually saw it in action. The DC powered unit does heat up fairly fast for its small size. It’s also very energy efficient and can be connected to any 12-volt source such as the cigarette lighter. The unit works just like other items only that it conserves the energy. It is available in a compact size for improved functionality and is among the most portable units.
#3 Cuisinart CB-30 Cast-Iron Single Burner, Stainless Steel
This Cuisinart cooktop will handle most of your cooking requirements without problems. It has a sturdy frame to handle the weight of the pots and pans, a simple design for quick control, and a nice weight for easy carrying. The burner can deliver low, medium, as well as high heat to meet different cooking requirements. It has a sturdy base and non-slip feet to prevent movement during use and a smooth surface for easy cleaning and maintenance. It’s a popular pick for people with limited spaces as well as those who want the best quality but on a budget.
#2 Duxtop LCD 9600LS Portable Induction Cooktop, 1800W
The Duxtop portable electric stove is another good choice for both professionals and amateurs. I have seen it used in many different settings and it gets praised for energy efficiency and dependability. Like other top cooktop and electric stoves, it is designed for people who want convenience or lack too much space. The small unit requires minimal space and is a good option for dorms, apartments, studio, vacation homes, RVs, mobile homes and other places. It has a broad temperature and heat range to handle different cooking requirements. One of my best features is the 20 levels/settings that make it the most versatile on this list. And because of its lightweight and small design, carrying this induction cooktop is very convenient.
#1 Secura 9100MC Portable Induction Cooktop, 1800W, Black
I bought the Secura 9100MC after my trusty Cuisinart induction cooktop gave the ghosts. The unit was getting good revs in regards to reliability, heating efficiency, portability, and durability. And true to the claims, the induction cooker does heat up pretty fast. I can cook different meals without problems thanks to the broad range of temperatures with the lowest being 200watts while the highest is 1800W. You also get 15 levels to choose as well as a user-friendly control panel. It’s much sturdier compared to all the electric stoves I have used before and is also one of the easiest to clean. The sturdy construction handles heavy cookware well whereas the smooth surface cleans fast and easily.
Tips on Safe Usage of Electric Stoves
You will agree with me that electric stoves are safer than other alternatives such as gas or wood stoves. They are also more energy efficient, don’t produce too much emission or pollution, and are also easier to operate. Nevertheless, in the wrong hands or when operated in a poor manner, these strives can be risky. According to a government website, cpsc.gov, most of the accidents are caused by human error which can be avoided. Observing the following tips will reduce the accidents and fatalities:
- Regular Cleaning: Just like other stoves, the electric type is more likely to start a fire if it’s left dirty or messy. Old food grease, oil, pieces of cloth, papers, or matchbox can easily ignite when the unit is turned on. To prevent this from happening, I always clean the unit once am done using it, and I also encourage other people to form the habit.
- Adequate Space: The cooking and heating appliance generates lots of heat during use. And because of this, it will cause the surrounding to be hot. Now imagine a flammable product near it? You can avoid accidentally starting a fire by always making sure there is enough space around the unit. This encourages quicker dissipation of the hot air and allows colder air to flow through the unit.
- Safe Handling: An electric stove takes longer to cool down compared to other types. This is due to the heating element. Many people, including myself, have accidentally touched the element and this causes burns. Such oversights are best avoided by being careful when operating the accessory. It doesn’t matter if you have used it briefly or you just placed a hot pan or pot on a cold unit.
For more and extra tips on how you can safely operate an electric stove and prevent fires, please see the video
Why Are People Making A Switch Portable Electric Stoves?
I have observed an increase in the number of people turning to electric stoves. Some decades ago, gas (propane and butane) and wood stoves were common. After a deep research, I discovered the following to be the main reasons:
- Safe: Electricity is safer than gas. Gas can easily leak without you noticing or after accidentally hitting a button or knob. The gas is stored under pressure and vibrations or moving with the container can destabilize the gas. It can easily combust and this is why it’s stored in high-pressure containers. Unlike gas, an electric unit also doesn’t have an open flame.
- Hygienic: It’s true that modern gas has become cleaner. Nevertheless, it will still produce some smoke or soot at times. The fuel also has a smell which is included in the gas to alert a user in case there is leakage. With electricity, you never see any smoke, soot or smell. This makes it a good option even in small locations where there is a limited flow of air.
- Portable: Place an electric stove alongside a gas or food stove of the same capacity or class? Which is heavier or bulkier? The wood or gas stove. Why, it’s because of the extra container or compartment that is required to hold the fuel (gas, wood, briquettes, pellets…). Additionally, they use heavy gauge pipes to prevent the gas from leaking and bulkier stands to support the unit.
- Efficiency: Electricity powered stoves are more efficient than their gas counterparts. Research shows that induction electric stoves are 80-90% efficient while gas is about 30-40%. And thanks to improving technology, eclectic stoves are becoming better in conserving heat, faster heating, and better distribution of heat. The heating element also lasts much longer and cools faster than before.
Mmmmh, after reading these reviews, you certainly feel more knowledgeable about picking an accessory by yourself. You just need to look at the important aspects which include the weight, size, operating ease, design, material, cost, portability, and price. Each of the above stoves is highly rated in regards to heat distribution, energy efficiency, durability, reliability, construction, quality, maintenance, and safety. You, your spouse, family, friends and other people will not only enjoy a good meal but also feel safe with the unit. Don’t be left behind. Pick the best movable electric stove today.