Have you ever used an underwater fishing camera? If you have then you know the advantages it comes with. One, it gives you clear views of the fish allowing you to focus on the best location. Two, it does away with trial & error, which in most cases makes you use lots of effort without catching fish. Three, it lets you record the views for later viewing and also for educational purposes. Four, the device improves the fishing experience and also adds the excitement. One thing many people agree is that finding a suitable device can be hard even for an experienced user. In fact, many attest to having bought a bad unit thinking or having been duped that it’s the best. In this review, I will not only show you the best but also how to choose an underwater fishing camera.
Table of Contents
- List of Top 8 Best Underwater Fishing Cameras in 2018
- #8 BOBLOV 7 Inch 30m IR Underwater Video Fishing Camera Equipment
- #7 MarCum VS485C LCD Underwater Fish Viewing System
- #6 Anysum Professional Underwater Fish Finder, 15M Cable with Carrying Case
- #5 Eyoyo Original 1000TVL Professional Underwater Fishing Video Recorder, 50M
- #4 Eyoyo Color LCD Waterproof Underwater Fishing Video, 15m
- #3 Eyoyo Portable 7 inch LCD Monitor Underwater and Camera
- #2 MarCum LX-9 Digital Underwater Sonar/Camera System (8-Inch)
- #1 Powpro Pow WDC-8011J 3M Waterproof Underwater Digital Camera
- Choosing the Right Underwater Fishing Camera
- In Conclusion
List of Top 8 Best Underwater Fishing Cameras in 2018
#8 BOBLOV 7 Inch 30m IR Underwater Video Fishing Camera Equipment
This camera should make underwater fishing less stressful and more exciting. It has a fairly large screen that gives easy views of the fish and other creatures. The high resolution provides good clarity to minimize eye strain and to also make sure you don’t miss a target. You can easily switch from Black & White to color and vice versa and it is also very portable. The high-quality case isn’t affected by the wet environment while the tight seals prevent water seeping in. You can use it in any water body, both salty and fresh without worrying about corrosion or deterioration.
#7 MarCum VS485C LCD Underwater Fish Viewing System
I bought my teenage daughter this underwater camera about a year ago. And to tell you the teeth, I think I use it more often than she does. Not because she isn’t keen on underwater fishing or she may be engaged in other activities, but because it’s as good as my current piece and is also much lighter. This means that I spend lesser effort carrying it around. The unit has a decent and colorful screen for quick observation, a nice-to-hold housing, and is also feature-rich. My daughter loves the ergonomic design that minimizes fatigue or numbness and the trendy looks that suits her teenage preferences.
#6 Anysum Professional Underwater Fish Finder, 15M Cable with Carrying Case
Boasting of top-grade sensors, this underwater camera provides very clear images. It is also very easy to operate and is a preferred choice for newbies. The sturdy case can handle knocks and bangs well whereas the waterproof nature protects the sensitive internal components from water, moisture, and dust. It displays the depth, temperature, battery charge and other functions on the screen for easy operation. I also love how practical it is especially in regards to the nice grip surface, lightweight, well-placed controls, and sensitive buttons. The unit can be used in fresh and salt water without any harm and has a long-lasting battery for extended use.
#5 Eyoyo Original 1000TVL Professional Underwater Fishing Video Recorder, 50M
If you want a fully functional camera that takes the stress away from you, then I would recommend this unit by Eyoyo. The unit is fit for both avid as well as beginners and comes with a simple design for improved operation. The high-quality piece is fit for salty or fresh water and can be used in deep water without any issues. I love the large display which together with the high resolution provides amazing views of the underwater. And similar to other top products, the screen will display the depth, temperature, battery voltage, target adjust and more.
#4 Eyoyo Color LCD Waterproof Underwater Fishing Video, 15m
One of the members of our fishing gang owns this camera and in my honest opinion, it’s as good as the reviews it gets. The unit has a good weight for better portability and small size for better functionality. Although lightweight, the underwater camera is quite strong and isn’t a damaged by small accidents, knocks, bangs or mishandling. I have seen my friend drop and mishandle it quite often (he is still new in this activity) but is yet to get any dents or scratches. I like the long-lasting battery which allows him to continue with the activity while most of us resurface due to no charge.
#3 Eyoyo Portable 7 inch LCD Monitor Underwater and Camera
Both amateurs and professionals love the Eyoyo portable underwater camera because of the good power. It has a solid case to bear the regular movements, motion in water and a waterproof case to prevent entry of water or moisture. My wife has had this item for over a year and she never stops talking about the sharp and clear images, the long-lasting battery, and of course, it’s good looks. I also concur that it has a nice weight that improves mobility and portability, easy-to-control, large display, and smooth operating hard buttons. Although it keeps the charge for a long time, the unit charges fairly fast.
#2 MarCum LX-9 Digital Underwater Sonar/Camera System (8-Inch)
What caught my attention about this camera was its fish finding distance. And true to what the manufacturers and consumers were saying, the unit has one of the best ranges. Locating fish is made easier by the clear display and large screen whereas the ergonomic design improves the handling comfort. It boasts of superior’s technology and sensors that relay high-resolution images while the hard buttons provide smooth operation. In addition to good viewing, the unit can also record and store the images and videos for later viewing. You can hold the unit for a long time without getting tired because of the lightweight and portable nature.
#1 Powpro Pow WDC-8011J 3M Waterproof Underwater Digital Camera
I bought this underwater fishing camera after my previous one was accidentally run over at the parking lot. Months down the lane, I still believe I made the right decision. I wanted a lighter model in contrast to my earlier one which was a little heavy. I also wanted a unit with a larger display for improved viewing. This camera has good resistance to the cold and water and also has strong pull-resistant cables. The heavy-duty materials offer good protection from vibrations, falls, and impact while the strong lithium battery provides many hours of operation. It works well at different temperatures and will still provide clear images in bright daylight or gloomy days.
Choosing the Right Underwater Fishing Camera
The cameras will look same and will function in a similar manner. However, as many experts will tell you, one unit will give excellent service while another will let you down. It will provide poor images, the resolution may be bad, the battery may not keep a charge for long, or it may not be waterproof. You can increase the chances of owning the best product by looking at the following factors:
- Display: To get the best views of the marine life, the display has to be of the right size. Typically, the screen size ranges from 3.5 to 8 inches and the larger it is the better. If it’s too small, you will strain your eyes as you struggle to look through it. However, if it’s too large, it may interfere with portability, storage, and manageability. It’s therefore essential to strike a balance between the display, size, and weight.
- Resolution: Display is one thing and resolution is another. Yes, your camera may have a large 8-inch display. However, the images and videos may not be very clear. They may be blurred, not sharp, or fuzzy. You will find a unit with a smaller display providing very sharp and clear images. It all boils down to the resolution and the higher the resolution the clearer the images will be. I always recommend a digital unit over analog since it has better visibility and clarity.
- Camera Quality: A good camera is made of top grade materials. It will resist warping, coming apart, breakage, dents, or bending due to bangs, knocks, falls, and impact. It will feature strong seams to prevent dust, dirt, moisture, and water from penetrating through and harming the sensitive components such as sensors. A good unit also has good buttons that are not only easy to operate but function smoothly. One thing, however, is that good quality comes at a higher price. But it will be cheaper in the long run since you won’t need to repair or replace it too soon.
- Waterproofing: Since the camera will be used in a wet environment, it’s vital to go for a waterproof unit. Failure to do so means you buying another one because water penetrated through the seals and gaps and damaged the sensors and other components. From the investigation, waterproof units usually cost more than non-waterproof cameras. Nevertheless, the extra price is always worth it.
- Portability: Always go for a unit that is easy to carry around. A very heavy one will bog you down and is more likely to get ruined in case of a fall or bang. The design of the unit also influences the mobility of the unit. For instance, carrying a slimmer product is easier than a thicker one.
- Battery: As stated earlier, my first underwater camera, although expensive, let me down because of the bad battery. It took ages to charge but drained pretty fast. Replacing the battery with a similar unit didn’t bring any change. The next one was cheaper but had a very reliable battery. It can last for as many as 10 hours and the picture quality is impressive.
- Price: One of the main challenges when looking for a nice unit is the price. The prices will greatly vary from one unit to another and this will keep changing due to competition. To find the best, it helps to compare several top units. You can come by an affordable underwater camera that provides excellent service. At the same time, you may pay a premium for a unit only to be let down. My first camera was quite costly but the battery drained too soon. It also felt little heavy and this affected operation and performance.
- Others: Other things to be considered include LED lights, brand, and area of use, design, and frequency of use.
NB: After purchasing a unit, you should be ready to go observing or fishing. While the included instructions will come handy, it’s always important to familiarize with the unit before using it. Talking to friends, researching deeply, and also following online videos such as the clip below will help. And just like any other activity or device, there is always a learning curve.
If you love fishing or observing marine life, then you shouldn’t be caught dead without an underwater camera for fishing. This device will make the experience more worthwhile and also increases the fun and satisfaction. To assist you to make the best choice the first time, I have briefly reviewed the best products in the market. I based the analysis and comparison from my experience, referrals from close friends, and also review from leading analysts and experts. All the above items are fully functional, effective, reliable, efficient, portable, waterproof, durable, affordable and user-friendly. Owning the best underwater fishing camera should no longer be hard.