There is nothing on earth sweater than honey. Besides the sweetness it offers, honey is also very beneficial to your health as it acts as a treatment to several ailments. Well, many of us always buy refined and packed honey from retail stores, but have you ever for a moment thought of how the honey is acquired?
You might be surprised, because the harvesters at times risk their lives to get this fantastic product, from the dangerous and ever busy insects, the bees. But thanks to technology for introducing Honey Extractors, no one has to risk their lives anymore. Honey extractors are mechanical devices designed to take honey from honeycombs safely. These devices have the capability of removing honey from the combs without actually destroying them.
Table of Contents
- Top 7 Best Honey Extractors in 2018
- 7 – Honey Keeper 4 Four Frame #304 Stainless Steel Honey Extractor
- 6 – Best Choice Products 2 Frame Stainless Steel Honey Extractor
- 5 – FoodKing Honey Extractor Electric Honey Extractor Honeycomb Spinner 4 Frame
- 4 – VIVO Four 4 to Eight 8 Frame Stainless Steel Bee Honey Extractor
- 3 – Hardin Professional 3 Frame Manual Honey Extractor
- 2 – New Large Two 2 Frame Stainless Steel Bee Honey Extractor
- 1 – Goplus Large 2 Frame Stainless Steel Honey Extractor
- Some of The Benefits That Honey Extractors Bring About Include
- Types of Honey Extractors
- How To Extract Honey
- To Sum Up
Top 7 Best Honey Extractors in 2018
7 – Honey Keeper 4 Four Frame #304 Stainless Steel Honey Extractor
- By: Honey Keeper
- Dimensions: 30.6 x 20.5 x 20.4 in.
- Weight: 40.5 lbs.
If you talk about high quality, durability and efficiency all at the same time, then the honey keeper 4Four frame honey extractor is the device to focus on. This is one of the best honey extractors on the market that carries more good than harm to its users. Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication, yes this device has proven this statement correct.It has a simple design that is easy to assemble and use. The drum is made of durable #304 stainless steel material that is rust proof. This material is strong enough to enable you to use this item for a very long time.
Harsh conditions do not pose a threat to the Honey Keeper honey extractor as it has the right features to endure any external harm. It features a clear plastic lead which makes it possible and easy for you to view what is going on inside the drum. The extractor can handle up to 4 standard deep, 8 medium or 8 shallow frames. When we talk of convenience, this extractor has a convenient height of honey gate which measures an average of 19 inches, so that a 5 gallon bucket will fit underneath easily.
6 – Best Choice Products 2 Frame Stainless Steel Honey Extractor
- By: Best Choice Products
- Dimensions: 38 x 16 x 16 in.
- Weight: 25.2 lbs.
A beekeeper can never be complete without the Best Choice honey extractor. It is a device designed for both the expert and rookie farmer as it is easy to use. It is very easy and quick to assemble and thus gives you a chance of starting your extraction as early as possible. Unlike the ordinary extractor, this one comes with a steel construction which has an allowance for easy clean-up and maintenance.
With the proper placement of the solid metal cranks, the gears are able to turn smoothly and efficiently allowing you to get the most out of a single extraction. The extractor also features a clear and double sided lid that makes it easy to view while extraction process is ongoing. Every beekeeper always dreams for the best, if you are one of them and want your dream to come true, then make the Best Choice Honey extractor your companion today.
5 – FoodKing Honey Extractor Electric Honey Extractor Honeycomb Spinner 4 Frame
- By: Foodking
- Dimensions: 20.9 x 20.9 x 31.1 in.
- Weight: 37.3 lbs.
This is a very strong and durable honey extractor that has a capability of serving you a lifetime. It is the safest and simplest honey extractor that you can ever get. The honey extractor will fit shallow, medium and deep frames conveniently. It is made from a high-grade stainless steel material that is strong and durable.
The combination of a well-built exterior and the sleek design makes it outstanding among the rest as the most fashionable and up to date honey extractor in the market. This honey extractor has two clear Plexiglas top lids to keep debris out while the honey is draining. It is powered by a quiet 120W 1300rpm motor.
4 – VIVO Four 4 to Eight 8 Frame Stainless Steel Bee Honey Extractor
- By: VIVO
- Dimensions: –
- Weight: 34 lbs.
This is a four frame durable honey extractor that is loved by many people. It contains a 32 inch tall and 18 inch wide drum with a 2-inch outlet into which honey drains from the conical insides of the drum. It is time and energy saving and thus being the best extractor for both commercial and home use.
Its sleek design and shape makes it very attractive and fashionable at the same time. It is made from a very strong stainless steel material that is durable. The debris can be kept away while the honey drains by topside clear lids.
3 – Hardin Professional 3 Frame Manual Honey Extractor
- By: Hardin
- Dimensions: 15 x 45 x 24 in.
- Weight: 22.1 lbs.
This is a honey extractor that you need to consider if you have more than five hives to attend to. It features a 16 gauge stainless steel tank, steel gears and steel bearings. This honey extractors contains three frames and thus preferred by many professionals all over the world. It is highly efficient and durable and thus saves you time.
This product is quick in its operations and can complete a huge task in a short period of time. There is no doubt that you will appreciate the clear Plexiglas at the top that makes it easy for you to observe what is going on inside the extractor. Along with 3 leg stands, 3 medium, deep and shallow frames are provided to enhance efficiency.
2 – New Large Two 2 Frame Stainless Steel Bee Honey Extractor
- By: VIVO
- Dimensions 34 x 17 x 17 in.
- Weight: 20 lbs.
This is a very durable and effective honey extractor that comes with superior quality. The drum is 29 inches tall with a diameter of 15 inches. It comes with two handles for easier mobility and two clears lids for easier viewing. The vivo honey extractor has a conical shaped bottom drum and drains honey to the 2-inch outlet with honey gate.
The metal gears are well enclosed to keep them clean and free from honey. It has a well-polished mirrored finish on the outside thus making it elegant and unique. The extractor is durable and capable of enduring harsh conditions for a long period of time.
1 – Goplus Large 2 Frame Stainless Steel Honey Extractor
- By: Goplus
- Dimensions 15.7 x 30.3 in.
- Weight: 22 lbs.
This is the best honey extractor on the market that stands second to none. It comes with the greatest efficiency and the best features that cannot be compared to the ordinary extractor. If you are looking forward towards changing your beekeeping experience, then the Goplus honey extractor should be your instrument of choice.
It is made out of stainless steel material that comes with a protective film that prevents rust. This honey extractor has a smooth finish that gives it an elegant look. It is large enough and can complete any task without breaking down or running out of enough space.
See Also: Top 8 Best Plastic Mason Jars
Considering the harm that manual extraction can cause to the honeycombs, many bee farmers all over the world have opted to employ the services of Honey extractors. A massive harvest is what all bee farmers always pray for each morning they set their hands on the hives. But it’s true that their prayers can never be answered without a honey extractor on site.
Some of The Benefits That Honey Extractors Bring About Include
- Faster Honey Extraction: Fast and efficient extraction of honey is what you will get when you own a honey extractor. It is well designed for this purpose as it utilizes the centrifugal mechanism, which is faster than the old manual way.
- Increases The Production of Honey: Well, the duty of producing honey is basically directed to the bees, but did you know that you can help them hasten their work at a higher rate? Well, it is very simple, when a honey extractor is used, it simply empties the honeycombs at a faster rate and the comb can be returned for the bees to use again. This eliminates the need for bees to build new honeycombs which can be time wasting.
- Constant Honey Supply: If you are a business person majoring in the supply of honey, then a honey extractor will see into it that your business continues. You will enjoy an endless supply of honey to your customers because of increased production.
- Reduces Waste: Manual extraction can sometimes lead to waste as some of the honey is left in the combs and some spills of due to mishandling. But the efficiency of a honey extractor helps you get the maximum out of a single harvest.
Types of Honey Extractors
Did you that we have two types of honey extractors? Depending on the how the frames are fitted onto the basket, we have either radial or tangential honey extractors. Perhaps someone would ask; what’s the difference? The difference is this: A radial basket has the top bar of its frame facing on the outward direction while a tangential basket has just one part of the comb facing outwards.
- Radial honey extractors: Most large honey extractors are radial and mainly depend on the upward sloping of the comb cells during the extraction process. With the slope, commercial honey extractors apply a centrifugal force towards the upper section of the comb for easy extraction. The radial type reduces the amount of work required during extraction since one doesn’t have to turn the frames over during extraction.
- Tangential honey extractors:
- Like earlier stated, tangential extractors have only one part of their comb facing upwards. This way, they’re only used for small-scale extractions. They will require more effort and take more time.
- We also have hand-powered extractors which require human effort during extraction. One is required to manually press the honeycombs to extract honey. Hand-powered honey extractors aren’t as effective as their electric counterparts. However, they are affordable!
- Electric powered:
- As the name suggests, electrically powered honey extractors are powered by electricity. Some are also battery-powered or have some other sources of energy used to power them. In a jiffy, they’re the complete opposite of the hand-powered options.
How To Extract Honey
Does everyone want to extract honey to the last drop, right? So, why do some people only get a small portion while others get huge sums out of a comb of a similar size? The answer is simple; it all depends on how you do it! We have people who do it the right way and those who only do some guesswork. So, which is the right way to harvest honey? Come with me as I give some tips on how you can get the right amounts of honey from the honeycomb.
1 – Check the stability of the extractor
If you’re using an extractor which doesn’t have a stand, it’s crucial that you find a way to make it stable. Failure to stabilize it during the extraction process could turn catastrophic. For that reason, ensure you have a way of ensuring the extractor is stable.
2 – Get the honey frames
Of course, once the extractor is ready, the next thing is to get the frames from the hives. It’s at this stage that you’re required to open the hive and smoke the bees. However, you have to be careful since smoking might affect the flavor of the honey. For that reason, you need to smoke the bees carefully without overdoing it.
3 – Head to the processing area
After gleaning all the frames, you should head to the processing zone to get the honey out.
4 – Cut/melt off the caps from the frames
This can be done using a regular knife although care has to be observed so that you don’t tear the wax from the foundation.
5 – Place the frames inside the extractors
Once you spin, you apply a centrifugal force which facilitates the extraction process. You need to spin the frames till honey is fully extracted. Of course, you also have to be careful so that the foundation doesn’t come out.
6 – Open the gate to start draining honey off
This is done after a considerable amount of honey has been collected into the extractor. Drain the honey into a bucket which is fitted with a filtering screen on the upper section to remove impurities.
7 – Allow the honey to rest in the bucket for 24 hours
This allows the bubbles to rise to the upper section. This enhances the quality thus making bit awesome. After that, you can pack the honey in containers and label them.
To Sum Up
If you want to be a successful beekeeper, then the honey extractor should always be your basic asset. The above mentioned are some of the best in the market, so do not hesitate to make a purchase of one of them. This list of the Top 7 Best Honey Extractors only has the picks of the bunch. For that reason, we suggest you add one of them to your cart!